Is the term “member journey” packed with the same kind of emotion that adventuresome journeys tend to evoke?
Often the term, “member journey” refers to the path from joining to renewing (or not).
But what if we think about the member journey in more human terms? Think about:
- the journey members take from being strangers to friends
- navigating the twists and turns members experience in their squiggly careers
- putting in the hard work to go from new member to mentor, thought leader, or volunteer
- shifting from outsider to community member
- encountering the ups and downs of advocacy
The member journey is not a logical, linear path. Instead, the journey most members experience is littered with high points and low points, joys, and maybe a touch or more of awkwardness.
Remembering all the emotions can help you create a more meaningful member journey.