- Walk around the counter and deliver a customer’s purchase to them with gratitude, think Nordstroms
- Greet them at the door like Apple employees do in every Apple store
- Work tirelessly to improve an already impossibly great search algorithm like they do at Google
- Set up a whole logistics system to deliver every shipment in less than two days a la Zappos
- Or personally welcome each and every little pirate and princess the way they do at Disney
You can’t do these things because these exact tactics probably won’t work for your organization. Feel free however to steal the intent. If you want to show members that you care you can:
- Solve a big problem
- Be consistently great
- Do something no one else cares to do
- Delight members by going the extra mile
- Improve on an already good experience
You can make your members feel special they way they do at Nordstroms, Apple, Google, Zappos and Disney.
- Member focus has to be association wide
- Is your association’s board concerned about advancing the profession?
- What would your association look like if you could start over?