What does it mean to make the world a better place?
For a long time I thought it solely meant doing something grandiose. Solving the fresh water problem in third world countries, feeding every hungry person in our own country, or saving nearly extinct animals are really great aspirations but are not the only ways to make the world a better place. I’ve now come to believe that even small acts for just one person can make the world a better place. Smiling, encouraging, teaching, enabling someone to act, these too make the world a better place.
Mammoth or very small acts can make the world a better place and so can every act in between.
But how do associations fit into this? Every person in every industry and profession has the power to make the world a worse place. Here are some examples:
- We can decide to cut costs in a way that creates waste or we can assume the cost of less waste.
- We can stop seeking new information or we can search out and use the best scientific research and get far better outcomes.
- We can make the choice to focus on our needs and force tons of time-wasting bureaucracy on others or we can focus on their needs to save them time and agony.
Or every person in every industry and profession has the power to make the world a better place. Here are some examples:
- We can learn to use empathy more.
- We can consider the consequences of our actions.
- We can expand our focus to the big picture, on the greater world and on the longer term.
When you think about it, it is amazing what our members can do:
- Some hairdressers create a safe space for some of their clients to share challenges which helps the client feel not so alone.
- Some engineers artfully design and source machines that will work years longer than their peers reducing wasted raw materials.
- Some CEO’s learn how to nurture cultures that help staff to feel what they are doing is important and raises their work satisfaction considerably.
What small things, medium things and big things can your specific members do to make the world a better place? What small things, medium things and big things can your members stop doing to make the world a better place?
What can you start doing to help your members do these things?