Every beloved organization has the 1%. These folks are super engaged, super passionate or super ahead of the curve. They are the hundred skiers skiing the last days of the season on a mountain usually ambushed by 14,000 skiers a day. They are the ridiculously avid gamers who are financially supporting a video game developer years before launch. They bought Google Glass. Perhaps this 1%er is a volunteer spending 20 hours a week of her precious time on a cause hoping to make the world a little better. These folks are special.
This 1% exist in our associations’ membership as well. They are invested, engaged and devote their time to the association. They know more about the association than some of the staff. Or perhaps they are hyper-invested in the profession or the industry but not yet on the association’s radar.
This special 1% of members are our most valuable resource as we contemplate new strategies, new benefits, innovation and change. How do we identify them?
They are the members taking on the hard projects. The super invested board member. The speaker who excels, who prepares and practices 100 hours to get their session right. The chapter leader growing membership.
They are the innovators. While most everyone else is being buffeted by forces out of their control the innovators are moving ahead. Not only are they trying new things to survive but they are looking to the future where their organizations will thrive.
They find great value in the association. They attend every conference. They use the association’s website weekly if not daily. They eagerly learn about new offerings. They read the articles.
The 1% may be regular members, they may be associate members, they may be young members or long-time members. Whoever they are, the 1% can help the other 99% of our members. Through their eyes we can see the future of the association.